Saturday, December 29, 2007

Yay, more old posts few people ever read!

This is back when Rainsong/Renee was going as woman'sspace. Now I can recognize her style/arguments, but at the time I really didn't know much about her.

The blogs on blogspot give me so much awesome, and yet, so much bigotry
So, I've been reading a bunch of feminist blogs lately to procrastinate learn more about feminism, anti-racism theories, etc. I'm not reading the blogs of the bigots, but of course, I can't escape them. A new bigot appears on fetchmemyaxe.blogspot.com (who oddly enough, goes by womans'space. One of the other bigots blog is womensspace, who goes by Heart; though she says she isn't the same).

Ws'S: "I don't think that husbands and fathers who have said they are men, are women and I see them as annexing the lives of women. I feel this a grievous offense not unlike child molestation."
-Do I really need to say why this makes me upset? I mean, as a transguy I should be able to express outrage for this drivel.

Another blog, sexualambiguities.blogspot.com, the owner makes a post about the comments on FMMA. Womens'space shows up. (As does womensspace)

Ws'S: "I'm just not sympathetic to the trans movement or the trans identity. You all hurt and make invisible lot people that you aren't even aware of."
-O.O *goes back to throwing invisibility cloaks on people*

Heart: "I have said very explicitly that the trans movement is philosophically depraved. I acknowledge saying that. I have not stood in any kind of moral judgment of these people."
-We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Ws'S: "As I said to an FTM on a feminist list once. 'You don’t care enough about women to be one, why are you here?'"
-WTF. Just because a guy doesn't identify as a woman, doesn't mean he doesn't care about "womens' issues" and/or equality.

Ws'S: "I said earlier masculinity is a disease and I assume that FTMs have want it and have caught [it]..."
-umm... Not all of [traditional, white, European] masculinity is bad. According to Wiki, masculinity can include practical, rational, trustworthy, leadership, objective, brave, etc.
Moreover, not all transguys follow societys' sex/gender roles. Most transpeople I've met make their own gender expression.
Being trans doesn't mean I want to be a guy, it means I am a guy.


To both Ws'S and Heart:
*A transwoman transitioning is nothing like blackface! STFUN00B!
*While some people may use 'passing' to mean "passing as a ____", I use it to mean "Passing as a cisguy."
*Not all transpeople follow gender/sex roles. Not all transpeople transition late in life. Not all transwomen were "husbands and fathers". Not all transpeople are white. not all transpeople were successful/rich before transitioning.

Please, ciswomen feminists. Stop speaking about things you know nothing about (trangenderism, transpeople, our definitions, etc.). Stop making judgments on these things you are ignorant about. Seriously, almost any page on transpeople says that gender identity != gender/sex roles.

4 comments:

queen emily said...

passing = being seen in the right gender

And yeah, the blackface analogy is rubbish.

>>>Not all transpeople follow gender/sex roles.

I follow some. Today's a Monday, right? If I want to change some, I bloody well will.

>>>Not all transpeople transition late in life.

is 27 late?

>>>Not all transwomen were "husbands and fathers".

I have a very substantial CD and DVD collection if that counts...

>>>Not all transpeople are white.

Well I am white actually. Guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

>>>not all transpeople were successful/rich before transitioning.

I'm a millionaire! No wait, I'm broke.

These people really need to STFU about trans* issues, cos they know practically nothing, and filter what scraps they know through ignorance, prejudice and flat-out hatred.

Drakyn said...

Yeah, I forgot to clarify in the original rant that there is nothing wrong with a guy being masculine or a woman being feminine, happening to fulfill certain roles, etc.
But if I remember correctly, these two were talking as if we all fulfill the stereotypes. And we both know that trans*folk are just as varied as cis*folk in regards to stereotypes.

Funny thing... I was thinking about some of these posts when I was hanging out with a friend of mine (we were talking about bigotry and assumptions in general after a conversation started about Katy Jones and Ashley X) and I mentioned that transphobic feminists always assume that I'm really a butch lesbian that can't hack being a masculine woman in a sexist society...
I thought she was going to run off the road she was laughing so hard! We were lucky there were no cars (yay going to diners at 1am), she wasn't going very fast, and she quickly got a hold of herself. But she just couldn't believe that anyone could ever think I was masculine or a lesbian as I am rather fem/geek/andro and very interested in guys. She thought the idea of me as a butch lesbian was hysterical.
A lot of my friends have said similar things (I rant a lot to my friends and boyfriend), because while I'm not high femme or even very visibly fem (I wish I could were glitter and eyeliner etc, but I don't so that I am less likely to be misgendered), but I am still very fem/flaming.


And I think, though I could be wrong, they mean thirties or forties+ are 'late'.
I dunno, I'm not-quite-twenty and I finally came out of denial when I was 16/17ish (though I pretty much knew for years before that).

And you know, Ws'S, aka Renee, is a trans*woman. She denies it--says she has recently been diagnosed with an intersex condition, but she was seen as a guy growing up and did transition just like other trans*women of her time. Yay internalized cissexism! (which, I just realized, I should make a tag for)

queen emily said...

>>>Yeah, I forgot to clarify in the original rant that there is nothing wrong with a guy being masculine or a woman being feminine, happening to fulfill certain roles, etc.

Well yeah, I assumed. But it is true that trans* people get represented in broad, completely inaccurate and intellectually dishonest ways.

And you know, I'm a pretty femme girl in terms of aesthetic, so in some ways I am the cliche, but it's hardly an unreflexive take on femininity or femaleness. I mean, whatever type of trans person you are, it's pretty hard to *not* think pretty hard about the implications of your gender presentation when you have an entire society telling you to be a different gender.

And yeah, I know that about Renee. Actually, a friend of mine is intersexed (XXY) and very definitely identifies as transsexual. So it's not like those two things are mutually exclusive.

I'm pretty sure rates of transition for people with intersexed conditions is quite high (1 in 2 if I remember correctly), but Bob knows where I read that.

belledame222 said...

Heart: "I have said very explicitly that the trans movement is philosophically depraved. I acknowledge saying that. I have not stood in any kind of moral judgment of these people."

-screeeeeeeee- WHOA. I missed that one somehow! had no idea she'd posted at QE's. and uh -wow-, she outdoes herself. DEPRAVED? o MARY.

wv: pnerd